Reader Space: Spicy Spice Storage!

Things are spicin' up around here, as I am featuring a reader who created some of the sweetest spice storage I have ever seen!


My gal pal, Jaime from Raising up Rubies, is back again with some darn darling spice storage.  I once featured her incredible craft room here which was also just featured in the recent issue of Better Homes & Gardens!  Yeah, this pretty lady has major skills and I couldn't be more excited for her!

Back to the adorable spice storage.  They weren't always that way.  She started out with a few buckets of spices, which would cause digging and searching when it came time to cook.


So, she grabbed a few supplies to whip those spices into shape!
  • 4 oz sized mason jars
  • Krylon chalkboard spray paint {for the lids}
  • Rustoleum Aqua spray paint {for the lid rings}
  • Polka dot wrapping paper
She smartly moved the spices from buckets in her pantry, to a drawer in her kitchen.  This would allow her to do less traveling around the kitchen when cooking, and also allow her to easily see her spices just by opening a drawer!

Before adding the spices to the drawer, she popped in some brightly patterned paper inside.



After a few coats of chalkboard paint on the lids, she used a chalk marker to label each spice jar.


Before I show you the delightful "after" photos, I had to find out more, so I asked...

What did you do to go the extra mile and "make it pretty"? 

"By far, using the wrapping paper!  With such an affordable way to make your kitchen pretty, how could anyone resist?  Plus, it's glossy finish makes for easy minor cleanup... and for major clean up, just cut a new piece!"


Where did you find your inspiration? 


"I found the wrapping paper idea from iHeart, I've always loved it and have since lined many drawers with it!  The chalkboard idea was found on Pinterest, a lot of folks were using baby food jars and painting the lids, but no babies here!  And mason jars are almost always my go to storage containers for small things"

How has it impacted your life for the better? 

"I don't really like to cook, it's not my thing... I'm not bad at it or anything, I just don't like it.  So when it's prep time for dinner at like 5 p.m. I'm usually rushing to get things into the pot, pan or oven!  Digging around for spices in that bucket usually resulted in a big mess on my counter that I had to later clean up with the rest of the dinner dishes.  Boo.  This way, I just open the drawer, scan the names and pick up my measuring spoons and done!  Put it away, pretty spices all in a row!"
 
Have I made you wait long enough?  Ready to see those pretty spices all in a row?


What a difference a little project makes right?  I love that the jars can be used in a versatile way and switched up, since the labels are all just temporary with a chalk pen.  I adore that she added spoons in the drawer to avoid opening another drawer just to measure spices.  To me, that is thinking smarter, not harder.

And how do you not swoon over the cheerful colors?  I would accidentally on purpose leave the drawer open each day....


I can hear your hearts pitter pattering from here.  It's a lovely, happy sound!

Next month is kitchen month at iHeart Organizing, so a special thank you to Jaime for giving us amazing inspiration to "spice" things up in the busiest room of the home!  You can find all of the details in her original post here.



ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please submit your story and photos here and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your life and routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment