High/Low Monthly Challenge: Let's Get the Party Started!

Today is the day!  I always look forward to our monthly challenges, but this one... This one is one that really tickles my fancy.  We focused on high/low storage this month!  You know, that really FUN part of organizing.  The goal was to find, craft, create, DIY or build budget friendly storage based on high end inspiration.  It could be anything from a drawer divider to a storage box to a decorative basket to an entire piece of furniture.  You can find the kick off post here and some more inspiration here.



I am actually going to continue to share a few high/low organizing projects over the month of May, while you continue to link up and share yours.  I found a few pieces I was excited to bring into my home for projects big and small, and can't wait to share!

I am kicking off the series with an easy peasy umbrella stand transformation.


Last year there was a very sad incident that caused our beautiful over-sized vase of an umbrella stand to tumble over and break.  Tears were shed and I went right out to replace it.  However, the first umbrella stand cost me $10 and another at that price has been impossible to locate again.  So, we have been tossing our umbrellas in a corner, hanging them on hooks, losing them in our coat closet... I know, big time problems right?

I recently spotted these darling Jayes umbrella stands with pretty gold detail edges, however, at $95 each, I chuckled and moved on.

Until I found a floral bucket at a thrift store for a total of $3!  The shape was close enough to the inspiration and the price to corral our umbrellas by the front door was perfect.


 To knock-off the inspiration, I started with some basic supplies as well.


Some wooden spheres found at Michael's for 49 cents, navy spray paint and gold liquid leaf.

I started by giving the bucket a coat of the glossy navy spray paint.  Once the paint was cured, I then taped off all of the edges on the outside and in.


Using the liquid leaf, I gilded the rim and handles of the bucket.  I am also starting a new paint splatter nail treatment trend.... Shellac is so yesterday.....


I wanted to add a small decorative detail to the bottom of the bucket in the form of feet.  I started by sticking the spheres to rolled painters tape.  This would allow me to gild them without them rolling around.



Using some super glue, I adhered the spheres to the base of the bucket.


Our living room has been receiving a lot of pattern lately in the form of curtains, pillows, throws and our recent DIY lamp, so I decided that I would go for a simple, classic look on the stand.  You can never go wrong with a monogram, so I cut one out of vinyl with my Silhouette.  The beauty of the high/low project is that you can customize your storage to whatever you would like it to become.


Not bad for $3.49!  Definitely a suitable option until I find another over-sized chunky vase for $10.


A steal over the $95 version!



More High/Low storage to come next week!  But now it is your turn to start linking up some projects!

As always, an over-sized thank you to all who participate in these challenges.  Checking out your posts is my guilty pleasure every month, so bring it on!  This month I will also be sharing some of your projects via social media and as always, will be doing a recap at the end of the party.



IHeart Organizing is not responsible for the content uploaded and shared within the Monthly Link Parties on within the #wiorn hashtag feed.  However, it is a great way to join together in making organizing fun, so let's use our best internet etiquette and have a great time with this social party!

No comments:

Post a Comment