Monthly Clean Home Challenge: Clean Out One Closet

Welcome back to the Monthly Clean Home Challenge daily task!  I am on a quest to maintain a clean and organized home in less time and the goal is simple; four daily tasks, four weekly tasks and one additional quick task each week day. 

In no particular order, here are the individual tasks I am tackling each day this month:
  1. Make cleaning supplies
  2. Cycle clean appliances
  3. Clean out cars
  4. Clean out microwave
  5. Wipe down cabinets/appliances
  6. Wipe down trim/doors
  7. Clean out one drawer
  8. Clean out fridge
  9. Clean out freezer
  10. Vacuum under furniture
  11. Vacuum mattresses
  12. Clean oven
  13. Clean out one closet
  14. Wash out garbage can/recycle bin
  15. Wash windows
  16. Scrub grout
  17. Clean out one cabinet
  18. File paper piles
  19. Purge bathroom toiletries
  20. Clean out pantry

Today I am chatting about the extra task:  Clean Out One Closet


We are pretty lucky that the majority of the closets within our home are fairly "organized" due to four years of blogging about the subject.  But that doesn't mean that they are all perfectly clean and clutter-less.

I had a jam packed day today so I wanted to pick a cleaning task that would be nice and quick.  There are no before and afters with jaw dropping results, but I still accomplished my goal with glee.

I selected my own personal clothing closet....


I typically remove everything from a drawer or closet when doing a good cleaning out, however, given the type of closet I decided to forgo that step this time around {it is simple enough to sift through hangers}.  However, I did remove everything from the bottom shelves and give it a quick vacuuming.




The basic steps for any closet clean-up are the same:
  • Remove items
  • Vacuum/Wipe things down
  • Purge
  • Evaluate storage
  • Put things back

After the lower section of the closet was vacuumed, I went through each and every hanger, basket and drawer and purged a bagful of items.  


I always keep that bag hanging in my closet and if I purchase something new, something old goes inside of the bag.  This has been working so well for me in keeping my closet from bursting at the seams and really made today's process even easier.

While purging the items in my closet, I was ruthless asking myself the following questions for each item I touched:
  • When is the last time I wore the item?
  • Does the item fit me nicely?
  • Do I still love the item?
  • Is that item torn, damaged or in wearable condition?

Prior to today there were a few tops and a pair of shoes inside the bag, but after today's purge it was nice and full.  Feels good to give myself a little extra room, because let's face it, my closet is not boasting in size.


Once I went through all of the clothes, baskets and drawers, I turned my focus to my jewelry station.  I figured while I was in the ruthless mood I should clear some of that clutter as well.


The glass mirror and dresser top were also wiped down to a sparkling finish.

The entire process took me about 15 minutes, no need to DIY pretty storage or line any drawers.  Just a good closet purge with an end result of a bagful of clothing, a pair of shoes and three necklaces being sent to our location donation facility.  Oh!  And it is dust free and clean again too, so that in itself is a win for me!  Got 15 minutes?  What closet are you going to purge today?



Looking for something?  Check out my favorite cleaning products below:




No comments:

Post a Comment