Monthly Clean Home Challenge: Scrub Grout

Welcome back to the Monthly Clean Home Challenge daily task!  I am on a quest to maintain a clean and organized home in less time and the goal is simple; four daily tasks, four weekly tasks and one additional quick task each week day. 

In no particular order, here are the individual tasks I am tackling each day this month:
  1. Make cleaning supplies
  2. Cycle clean appliances
  3. Clean out cars
  4. Clean out microwave
  5. Wipe down cabinets/appliances
  6. Wipe down trim/doors
  7. Clean out one drawer
  8. Clean out fridge
  9. Clean out freezer
  10. Vacuum under furniture
  11. Vacuum mattresses
  12. Clean oven
  13. Clean out one closet
  14. Wash out garbage can/recycle bin
  15. Wash windows
  16. Scrub grout
  17. Clean out one cabinet
  18. File paper piles
  19. Purge bathroom toiletries
  20. Clean out pantry

Today I am chatting about the extra task:  Scrub Grout

In all honesty, as much as I love to clean and organize, scrubbing grout is one of my least favorite tasks.  Our lower level bathroom was tiled about eight years ago.  It was the first room we had ever used tile in, and we innocently selected white grout.  It has been on our list to update for years now but always falls low when prioritizing our projects {or basically just forgotten about all together.... until grout cleaning day}.

Because cleaning the white grout is a thorn in my side, I try to at least mop the floor once a week to increase the time in-between grout scrubbings.  It seems to help, but sometimes I can't help but wonder if it just spreads the dirt around into all of the grout lines.

Today's task is not something I would expect anyone to do frequently, but I thought I would share a way to keep the white grout sparkling.


I use two different homemade solutions for cleaning our grout.  In a spray bottle I combine approximately:

  • 1 cup distilled water
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup hydrogen peroxide

In a bowl, I create a paste out of baking soda and warm water.


I always start out the grout scrubbing process with a clean slate by running over the tile with a vacuum and mop {mop solution of 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar and 1 gallon of warm water}.


As you can see the grout still shows dirt, even after the mopping session.  In fact, these floors have been mopped multiple times since the previous grout cleaning, they just naturally absorb dirt over time.


Using a grout brush, I use it to spread the paste over each line.  The key to making this obnoxious process a little easier, is to keep the paste moist by adding a few drops of water here and there.  If it becomes too dry, it just crumbles.  The entire time I am doing this, I am thinking of all the things I would rather be doing and how I can possibly write a post expecting anyone else to want to do this.  To the tune of that sweet little blue fish named Dory, "Just keep whistling, just keep smiling...."


After all of the grout is covered in the paste, I mist the water/lemon juice/peroxide combo over the lines.


Then I walk away for at least an hour and let the magic happen.

When I return back to the tile, I can already see results which encourages me to continue.  I give the floor one more spray down and use the grout brush to scrub the individual grout lines.


Most of the baking soda is completely gone by now, however, I go back over the floor one last time with the mop to call it good.



I seriously have to high five myself every grout scrubbing day.  Sure, I avoid it like the plague and question if I would ever put tile anywhere in our home ever again.  Not to mention it is a bit gritty, time consuming and putsy... But the results astound me each and every time!  The magic combination of baking soda paired with the peroxide and lemon sure does the trick!  We once again have beautiful white grout! 



Looking for something?  Check out my favorite cleaning products below:



No comments:

Post a Comment